Tuesday 29 July 2008

get rid of green water for money


Well it looks like at last Summer is here, 4 days of sunshine which has been great. However, if you have a pond like me, you may well now start having trouble with your water going green with the bloom of algae that is no doubt going to appear. If you haven't got a pond, then take advantage of people like me by selling us water treatments.

Posh people have UV lamps which fit in the filter and kill the algae as it goes through. However they are expensive, and no fun. Common people like me go to their local garden centre and buy mini barley straw bales, drop them in the pond and wait for the water to turn clear again. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. However for 2 small bales (about the size of a large toblerone) you will pay around £5.

So undercut these money grabbers by going to your local farmer, smiling nicely and asking for a bale of barley straw. When I went last week I was told I could have the remnants from the shed for nothing, which I readily did, scooped them up, put them in a bin liner and wandered home.

Once home, pull out equal lengths of straw (about 30cm long) and bundle them together in an old pair of your wifes/girlfriends/sisters/neighbours tights. Tie them securely at the top, and flog them at car boots for a healthy profit. Cash-a-plenty.

You know, sometimes I even amaze myself at my ingenuity.

No comments: